>But a GTF Trace probably can.  I would look at GTF TRACE or VSM Traces.

But this will monitor VSM calls, not CPU usage. I understand the
GETMAIN/FREEMAIN are expected, but only every now and then, they go wild. I
don't see how GTF can help here.

I don't know the details, but I know we have some automation in place to detect
high CPU users (jobs). AFAIK, it is based on MainView z/OS detecting such a job
and then writting (WTO) a message, which in turn triggers automation.

Do you have some tool like MainView or Omegamon?

--
Peter Hunkeler