I'm short of sleep ... again. When I came to work this morning, my Chrome
browser was "dead". When I restarted it, it prompted me with a message
asking if I wanted to restore all the pages I had been on.

So, what occurred to me was, "Wouldn't it be nice if ISPF could do
something like that." Now, ISPF doesn't really die often. But I think it
would be a nice feature if there were a new ISPF command, perhaps called
something like "SAVELEAVE" or HIBERNATE or whatever. This facility would
let you logoff for the day, optionally SAVEing any changes if you're in
EDIT or one or more screens. When you come in the next day, ISPF would give
you an option to restore all your screens. Yes, there are problems about
restarting an ISPF application, but basically you could only issue the
above command at certain times, just like you can only SWAP or SPLIT, when
you're in an DISPLAY verb. What I envision for an ISPF application is that
it would get a special RC from the ISPF DISPLAY verb which would indicate
"user wants to leave, checkpoint or abandon your processing". The
application could then only do something like ISPF CHECKPOINT which would
basically return to ISPF and ISPF would terminate the application.  The
application would need to save its non-ISPF environment (close files, etc)
before it issued the CHECKPOINT. When the user gets back into ISPF, the
application is restarted at the next instruction after the CHECKPOINT. At
this point, the application would be responsible to restore its internal,
non-ISPF maintained, status (open files, reload important variable, etc).
This would occur for each active screen which did the ISPF CHECKPOINT.
Well, that's likely getting too detailed for a general, initial, discussion.

So, what are your thoughts?

--
Once a government places vague notions of public safety and security above
the preservation of freedom, a general loss of liberty is sure to follow.

GCS Griffin -- Pelaran Alliance -- TFS Guardian (book)

Maranatha! <><
John McKown