From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu> on behalf of
Hobart Spitz <orexx...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 4:07 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu
Subject: Re: REXX calling bpxwunix when SIGNAL NOVALUE active

Bruce;

I'm not sure whether you are asking for help, reporting a problem in a
sample, or offering a solution.

Since you haven't said which line failed, I'm just be guessing.

I think you need to quote StdErr. .  That should allow you to turn NOVALUE
back on.  I prefer to use it most of the time also.

My typical NOVALUE handler looks like this:

*novalue:say condition() condition("c") condition("d") "in line"
sigl"."parse source Sourcesay Source /* in case we are a few levels down in
external modules */exit -889*

I'd also recommend against TRACE OFF.  A typo can turn a REXX instruction
into a host command, and those problem can be hard to find.  (The proper
way to write TRACE is to omit the quotes; they imply VALUE, which takes a
few extra machine instructions.

Seymour, your suggestion is good.  If anything is wrong with REXX, it's
that it's such an easy language to write, people just jump in without
really understanding it.

OREXXMan
JCL is the buggy whip of 21st century computing.  Stabilize it.
Put Pipelines in the z/OS base.  Would you rather process data one
character at a time (Unix/C style), or one record at a time?
IBM has been looking for an HLL for program products; REXX is that language.