AFAIK, I have never used KOI8-R; I can't speak to what m$ outhouse may have
done behind my back. Maybe it copied the charset from the message I was
responding to?

Do you have human beings doing had encoding of messages? If not, then I'm
obviously talking about software.

Alas, while I know of validators for HTML and CSS, I don't know of any for
e-mail.

Cut-and-paste is beyond the scope of any RFC. However, the considerations are
pretty clear; if the text has a New Line (LF for Eunix, CRLF for windows) then
use a hard NL; if you split due to length, use a soft NL. Follow that and the
rules for space stuffing and you get the code intact at the other end. Break
them and all bets are off.

If the receiver does not support F=F then he will get extraneous line breaks; I
can't imagine what idiocy would cause extraneous line wrapping.

BTW, the webmail application for this e-mail account uses m$ lookout, and I
would not be surprised by any RFC violation that turns up.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3