My information may be out of date... but as I remember someone, possibly
Barry Merrill, did the research and found that running a program under TSO
cost about three times what it cost in batch.  And REXX's are usually run
in a TSO environment, even when run as TSO-Batch.
Has this changed?
Perhaps my assumptions about TSO-batch are inaccurate.
But if correct, that pretty much answers why REXX is not a good replacement
for JCL.  Yes, JCL is strange and takes some getting used to, but no more
so than English for Chinese speakers, or visa versa.  And giving JCL its
due, the overhead it uses is minimal.