On 10/08/2018 7:34 PM, Peter Relson wrote:
I have no idea why the health checker header files in
SYS1.SIEAHDR.H(HZS*) chose to use them.
Because no one was willing to take a stand that everyone has a system like
yours that can handle the braces, at the expense of someone who did not.

You make a good point Peter and I certainly don't mean any disrespect to the original authors of those header files. It's just IMO trigraphs are worse then using a codepage such as 1047 which is the ubiquitous C codepage on z/OS.

Nevertheless, it seems unlikely that there will be additional use of the
trigraphs going forward.

And possibly, if specifically asked, some existing files could be changed
to remove them in the future.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design