I'd like to draw your attention to a new, high performance IBM Z and IBM
LinuxONE attachable storage system: the IBM DS8882F. Details here:

https://developer.ibm.com/storage/2018/08/13/new-ds8882f-big-value-smaller-package/

The DS8882F is a full fledged member of the IBM DS8880 series, with the
same architecture (including software/firmware foundation), features, and
resiliency. However, it's designed to install within a standard 19 inch
rack and to require only 16U of rack space. That means the DS8882F can be
installed within the IBM z14 ZR1 and IBM LinuxONE Rockhopper II frame, for
a single footprint machine plus storage solution. (It doesn't have to be,
though. You have full multi-system/multi-type and physical installation
flexibility, with both FICON/ECKD and FCP/FBA support.)

Like the other members of the IBM DS8880 family, the IBM DS8882F supports
Cloud Object Storage with z/OS DFSMShsm, called "Transparent Cloud
Tiering." On premises and/or off premises cloud-compliant storage can be
used as another HSM storage tier, automatically staged/de-staged. Details
here:

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg248381.pdf

The DS8882F is an all flash design for high performance, with up to 358.4TB
of raw capacity. Storage level encryption is supported, of course. (Did I
mention it's a full fledged DS8880 system?)

For a few years now I've/we've been looking/waiting for a smaller form
factor mainframe storage system as the spiritual successor to the IBM
DS6800. Spiritual only, though, because I really want to have the full
feature set available with the same design approach, just in a smaller form
factor and still with a healthy amount of storage capacity (up to 300+ TB
usable). Now it's here, and it's great to see this choice, IMHO.

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM Z & LinuxONE,
Multi-Geography
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com