Paul Gilmartin wrote
> Prime time shows are announced as beginning at (e.g.) 8PM Eastern, 7PM
> Central.  But they're delayed one hour (not two!) so they begin at 7PM
> Mountain.  Don't know about Pacific.

Not exactly. Prime time shows are *not* delayed for Central time. It's just that 8pm Eastern and 7PM Central are exactly the same time.

Pacific shows are 'normally' delayed 2 hours. An 8PM Eastern show will show at 8PM Pacific. Back when Mountain time did not observe daylight savings time, the broadcasts were delayed 2 hours in Mountain time since half the year they were on Pacific time. I don't know what they do now.

> But there's the school bus problem.
Not really. It would actually make the bus problem worse. It's really the 'I want some time to go fishing or boating after work' problem.

Tony Thigpen

Paul Gilmartin wrote on 09/18/2018 12:08 PM:
On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 10:19:37 -0500, Mike Schwab wrote:

Well, there are problems in China since they use Bejing time across
the country and have a 3 hour difference at the Afghanistan border.

And I understand that in westen China some clocks are (unofficially) set back.

And there's ego.  In 2015, DPRK set its clocks back 30 minutes, just to be
unique.  Then reverted (witn inadequate advance notice) a few years after,
for commercial reasons.

And a few years earlier, Republic of Samoa advanced its clocks 24(!)
hours for commercial reasons.

But essentially, the U.S. Eastern, Central, and Mountain times are one
time zone as far as TVs are concerned.

Sort of.  But not for live sports events.

The Today Show is delayed hour-by-hour to start at 0700 in every time zone.
(Don't know about Arizona.)  They display local time in a chyron.

Prime time shows are announced as beginning at (e.g.) 8PM Eastern, 7PM
Central.  But they're delayed one hour (not two!) so they begin at 7PM
Mountain.  Don't know about Pacific.

On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 11:43:07 -0400, Tony Thigpen wrote:
We really need to get out of the '8-5' work times. While outside work
needs to be daylight centered, we could make our standard workday '6-3'
and a lot more people would be happy with the available daylight after work.

But there's the school bus problem.

-- gil