From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Jesse 1 Robinson
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 7:24 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: CTC conventions

[External Email]

Just to be clear, a CTC naming convention is not tied uniquely to ESCON or
FICON architecture. We implemented a scheme in the mid-90s under ESCON well
before the advent of FICON. It's still in effect.

The scheme we adopted (at IBM's suggestion) uses CEC, partition, direction (in
or out for XCF) to construct a four-digit unit number. It has served us well
for decades. The only 'cost' is that lots of addresses are reserved for CTC. In
our case, all 4xxx and 5xxx addresses. I'm sure a more limited scheme could be
utilized, but we connect every LPAR in every CEC to every other LPAR via CTC,
so lots of addresses are utilized.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson