Well, of course I would find the doc a few minutes after asking the question. (I had been looking for it as time permitted over the last few days.)

Based on the reading of GC35-0099 "IBM 3480 .. Use's Reference", all the z/OS macros for sending messages to the tape drive force the volid to be in position 2-7 of the display.

Position 1 can be:
Blank = Verify
M = Mount
D = Demount
K = Keep (put in rack)
R = Retain (keep near by for additional use)

Position 8 can be:
Blank = Not at load point
S = Standard Label
N = No Label