From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Joel C. Ewing
Sent: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 9:30 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Another IBM tape not for z/OS

On 12/02/2018 07:55 PM, Rugen, Len wrote:
> Batch tape should be dead, even if batch JCL still looks like tape is used.
> One of my last SMS projects was to manage tape, redirecting almost all to SMS
> disk.

Before employing any technique to convert all tape data sets to DASD, one
should I hope first consider whether replacing a tape data set with a DASD data
set is a reasonable act based on the application design. The one logical
capability of a tape data set, even one using virtual tape, that is not
normally associated with a  DASD data set is the innate ability to continue to
exist for hours,  days, or even longer after a new data set with identical name
has been created, depending on how tapes volumes are  scratched.   The use of
tape could mean the application is depending on that retention as an implicit
and essential part of recovery should programming errors or other disasters
occur during application processing, especially if the problem is a subtle one
that isn't caught immediately.  Throwing out that capability without providing
a suitable substitute is something you may live to regret.

    Joel C. Ewing

--
Joel C. Ewing