From an IBM manual:
When a control data set is defined on one volume, it is defined as a VSAM KSDS
cluster.  When the control data set is defined on two to four volumes, it is
defined on each volume as a unique VSAM KSDS cluster.  DFSMShsm can manage the
control data set even if it consists of several VSAM clusters.  Based on your
calculations for the space required to define your control data set, you
determine the number of volumes that are required and, therefore, the number of
required clusters.  The MCDS and BCDS may each be on more than one volume; the
OCDS can be on only one volume.

Thanks..

Paul Feller
AGT Mainframe Technical Support

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Hervey Martinez
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2018 11:51 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Multi-volume HSM MCDS [EXTERNAL]

The MCDS is taking up a full mod-9 and it is growing.

I'm looking at expanding the file to be multi-volume and wondering if this can
be done without converting CDS to RLS?  Done some searches but don't really
come up with anything.

How would this be expanded to multi-volume. Would the definition just be, let's
say 20,000 cylinders and make sure there are two mod9 volumes available?

One option would be to move it to a Mod-27 but not sure if such a volume is
available at our DR site.

Anybody have any ideas?

Please note:  This message originated outside your organization. Please use
caution when opening links or attachments.