Bottom line with this code the  processing of modify command works consistently
I now tried it 8 times in a row I'll post the  code. Without the STIMER  the
modify command only 1 of 5

  SELECT_LOOP DS   0H
         XC    MY_ECB(104),MY_ECB      CLEAR ECB AREA
         MVC   COMMAND,=CL8'SELECT'
         XC    MY_PARM(MY_PARM_LEN),MY_PARM    CLEAR PARAMTER LIST
*        WTO   'ENTERING SELECT LOOP....'
*
         STIMER   WAIT,DINTVL=LTINTVLL  WAIT A BIT
*
         EZASMI TYPE=SELECT,      Issue Macro                          X
               TIMEOUT=TIMEVAL,                                        X
               MAXSOC=MAXSOC1,    SPECIFY MAXIMUM NUMBER OF SOCKETS    X
               RSNDMSK=RSNDMSK,   READ MASK                            X
               RRETMSK=RRETMSK,   RETURN FROM READ                     X
               WSNDMSK=WSNDMSK,   WRITE MASK                           X
               WRETMSK=WRETMSK,   RETURN FROM WRITE                    X
               ESNDMSK=ESNDMSK,                                        X
               ERETMSK=ERETMSK,                                        X
               ERRNO=ERRNX,       (Specify ERRNO field)                X
               RETCODE=RETCODY,   (Specify RETCODE field)              X
               ECB=MY_ECB,        MAIN TASK EMB                        X
               ERROR=ERROR,       Abend if Macro error                 X
               MF=(E,MY_PARM)

              WAIT  ECB=MY_ECB

             L     R10,CONADD         GET COMMUCATION ADDRSS ECB
             TM    0(R10),X'40'       MODIFY COMMAND POSTED
             BZ    CK_TCPIP           NO CHECK TCP IP
             WTO   'PROCESSING MODIFY'
*
            USING COM,R6
            L     R6,COMCIBPT                Point to CIB
            DROP  R6
            USING CIB,R6
            CLI   CIBVERB,CIBMODFY           Q. IS it a Modify
            BNE   SELECT_LOOP                no; Go back
            CLC   CIBDATA,=CL8'SHUTDOWN'     Shut Down
            BE    CLEAN_UP                  get out
            B     SELECT_LOOP
   CK_TCPIP DS    0H
           CLC   RETCODY,=F'0'      A REAL TIME OUT OCCURED ???
           BE    SELECT_LOOP
           BH    CKCONN
           BAL   XLNK,RCCHECK
           B     SELECT_LOOP

*  if value is > 0 then this a read request to be handled  *
 *  by subtask go back to main loop                         *
 CKCONN   DS    0H
          MVC   NOSELECT,RETCODY   Save Number of Selected Sockets
          BAL   XLNK,CK_SELECT     Check connections
          B     SELECT_LOOP
          TITLE 'CHECK SELECTION ACTIVITY.......'
 CK_SELECT DS   0H
          ST    R14,SAVE14F                 Save link register
          LA    R6,SOCKTBL                  Get Socket tbl
          USING SOCK_TBL,R6
 SEL_LOOP    DS  0H
 *        check out Slected sockets                                    *
          TPIMASK TEST,                                                 X

LTINTVLL DC    CL8'00000001'