From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin <0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2019 12:33 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Any easier way to determine if DD is dummy than GETDSAB?

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 11:50:51 -0500, Steve Smith wrote:

>If the customer has to specify any JCL, then using a specified DDname is
>the idiomatic way to go.
>
>DEVTYPE is dead simple for sniffing out DUMMY vs. spool vs. DASD vs. TAPE
>vs. missing.  I wouldn't use RDJFCB just for that.

But I had an SR rejected, WAD, because DEVTYPE (or was it DSORG) didn't
return anything useful for a UNIX path.

>On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 11:39 AM Charles Mills wrote:
>
>> Well, there is no EXEC anywhere in the question but yes, changing the
>> specs to make the customer supply a DS name rather than a DD statement
>> might be an approach.

Are you trying to suss out the details of an allocation you didn't control?

But did a different component perform the allocation?

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 10:37:36 -0600, John McKown wrote:
>Oh, I think you're right. From the IEFJFCBN macro in SYS1.MACLIB:
>
>* DCL JFCBPCON CHAR(21) CONSTANT('...PATH=.SPECIFIED...');

I recall seeing that in HLASM summary; perhaps also in formated SYNADAF
replies.  HLASM got better; JFCB didn't.  I don't understand why JFCB couldn't
just be stuffed with part of the pathname.

-- gil