Sean Gleann wrote:

>Does z/OS / SMS have a set of default space allocation sizes and if so, where
>are they held and can I alter or control them?

Look in ALLOCxx as kindly suggested by Roger Lowe.

If you know what SMS routines were used, look at their definitions.

>I have a situation where insufficient contiguous disk space results in the
>SPACE request parameters supplied for a DISP=(NEW...) file with values that
>are too low to fulfil the final requirements.
>Example: I request SPACE=(TRK,(9000,1000)… and what I get is
>...TRK,(7200,500), which eventually leads to a B37 abend.

Please post that full B37 abend message. There may be another reason why you
are not getting what you want.

What about trying to use more than one volser for your allocation attempts?

>It's that 'eventually' bit that is most disheartening. I would far rather have
>the space request completely refused along with a job abend rather than have
>the system 'try to help' me.

Buy more disks... ;-)

Pre-allocations may help before you actually use it, but of course, how do you
know what size is 'correct'?

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht