From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Laurence Chiu <lch...@gmail.com>
Sent: 21 March 2019 06:07
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Remote access to Z14 ZR1 Support Element via HMC question

OK an update. We haven't solved the remote access issue yet but the guys
wanted to do use the zBC12 HMC to discover the Z14 HMC. But despite all
networking being fine (all the HMC's and the SE's are in the same LAN
segment) the zBC12 HMC could not see the Z14 HMC. Yet if they logged onto
the Z14 HMC it could see the Z14 SE fine. I asked the question (since one
of my colleagues has done this before) since the new machine is a drop-in
replacement using the same DS8K SAN, why don't they just copy the config
from the zBC12 HMC to a USB drive and load it onto the Z14. I was told that
wasn't standard practice, even though it would work.

Further diagnosis reveals a potential issue with the domain settings on the
new HMC's and SE's not matching those on the existing ones.   The new HMC's
were setup with domain defaults I am told and they are probably not what
the old HMC's were setup with. Something along the lines of  " The “Current
domain name” is displayed on the window. If NOT SET is displayed, it
indicates that default domain security is in effect for this console." This
is from the
Hardware Management Console Operations Guide - Version 2.14.0
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=isg23e9d1b6de8c163f985258195006801cc
pages 712 onwards

Now if the existing HMC's have an actual domain name setting in them, then
it make sense they cannot connect to a HMC with default domain security
since there is a mismatch.

  That apparently is our next diagnostic step. Just wonder if other folks
on this list have ever encountered problems similar to this?  Thanks