Nothing is straight forward with Z systems and the LSPR URL provided is for
z/OS data and doesn't give you the full picture and a the answer differs
depending on how you use the PUs. It all depends on the 'model' number (further
confused when you talk about the 'H/W' model or the capacity model for 'S/W
charges'). This on its own might not give you the right answer for systems
which have a mix of type of PUs i.e. CPs, IFLs, zIIPs, ICFs etc.

Many moons ago the model number reflected the actual number of PUs a customer
could purchase. More recent model number have made it bit difficult and the
LSPR website is a good start for z/OS capacity (BTW, it doesn't list the
'speed'. It shows the 'capacity' for each 'model').

If you are not familiar with the Z systems model numbering, there are
differences between the  'EC' (high end) and 'BC' (mid-range) systems.

Keeping it simple and talking about CPs only. For the EC systems, 'models' 4xx,
5xx, 6xx identify the number of sub-capacity (knee-capped) CPs available. 7xx
are the full capacity CPs. Each generation of Z has a different limit for the
number of sub-capacity and full capacity CPs one can have.

For the BC systems, 'models' A01 - A06 all the way to Y01 - Y06 are
sub-capacity models and Z01 to Z06 are full capacity 'models'. BC Models can
have  up to a MAX of 6 CPs ONLY. Rest of the available PUs for customer use can
be other types e.g. zIIPs, IFLs, ICFs etc. To confuse you even more, for the
'BC' systems, 'model' A00 is a system with IFLs only. For the z14 ZR1 'model'
A00 you can have up to 30 IFLs!

The Redbooks are a good source for the exact detail.

So what was the question:-) ?

Regards
Parwez