From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Martin Packer
Sent: 07 April 2019 07:51
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [IBM-MAIN] AMODE 32

I dodged the “why multiple CICS regions?” aspect as this thread has already got
complex enough. The “CICS topology” topic is wonderfully complex, of course,
and it’s one of the things my workshops with customers delve into.

I would say “QR TCB Constraint” is still a live issue, but less of one.
Certainly lots of things got offloaded to other TCBs, but lots didn’t. I also
think Threadsafe plays into this quite a bit.

But, to try to bring it back to the OP’s line of thinking a little, I would not
consider 31-bit or 42-bit virtual storage to be a frequent issue in CICS estate
design. It’s the sort of thing you check for, of course. Your point - “QR TCB
Constraint” - is more prevalent.

Cheers, Martin

Sent from my iPad

> On 6 Apr 2019, at 21:19, Joel C. Ewing <jcew...@acm.org> wrote:
>
> It used to be, most of a single CICS region other than some
> DB2-related work was single threaded.  Don't know if that has improved
> in the last five years, but am sure there must still be significant parts of
> CICS
> that are single thread.   The only way to give more CPU to a CICS that
> was CPU-constrained, required splitting the load to multiple CICS
Regions.

> Over the years, the main reasons we used multiple CICS regions under
> MVS was for application isolation, downtime isolation, and increased
> CPU resources -- not merely because of virtual memory constraints.
>
> I know some of our application code relies on the VL bit to detect end
> of parameter lists.  You cannot depend on existing code being trivial
> to convert.  Like Y2K, it is not that individual fixes are
> complicated, but there can be massive amounts of code to review to find where
> the fixes
> are required.   There would inevitably be bugs introduced in both
> application code and the OS.   Not worth the effort and risk for a
> measly doubling of virtual address space.
>     Joel C. Ewing
>
>> On 4/5/19 11:43 PM, Mike Schwab wrote:
>> Actually, they started under MVS with 8MiB user memory or so.  Plus
>> splitting different applications into their own regions to isolate,
>> close certain partition at specified times for batch and backup
>> processing, etc.
>>
>>> On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 11:55 AM Paul Edwards <mutazi...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>>> Hi Mike.
>>>
>>> I'm trying to understand why some sites are running multiple CICS
>>> regions because
>>> 2 GiB is not enough. Yet they haven't gone to AM64. I want to know
>>> if they would be interested in going to AM32 instead, if it were

<martin_pac...@uk.ibm.com> wrote:

> --
> Joel C. Ewing

> For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,  send
>email to lists...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN
>Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.