On April 11, 2019 at 4:29 PM Mike Myers wrote:
| an experience I had sometime back around 1967.
| Nearby at another system was Don Ludlow, who
| was reputed to be the primary designer of IOS
| for OS/360.

Donald Ludlow WAS indeed the principal author
of OS/360 IOS. In fact, he wrote ALL of the
code that actually survived and was shipped.
There was another gentleman who CLAIMED to be
the "author" of IOS (whom I knew personally),
but everything he did had to be redone by Don
(or mostly, in fact, simply thrown away).

Mr. Ludlow moved to Raleigh, NC and worked on
SPF (as it was then called), incorporating the
SUPERC FDP into ISPF/PDF as what we know today
as options 3.12, 3.13, and 3.14 (a "recent"
enhancement adds 3.15).

He wrote some of the slickest, tightest S/360
Assembler code I've ever seen or had to modify
learning a lot about device channel programming
from it (and from him).

William Blair
Houston, TX