From: Lizette Koehler <stars...@mindspring.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 2, 2019 10:08
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Java no longer a free lunch

I was not sure how this will affect the Mainframe and JAVA

But I found this

https://www.aspera.com/en/blog/oracle-will-charge-for-java-starting-in-2019/

End of Public Updates for Oracle JDK 8
Oracle will not post further updates of Java SE 8 to its public download sites
for commercial use after January 2019. Customers who need continued access to
critical bug fixes and security fixes as well as general maintenance for Java
SE
8 or previous versions can get long term support through Oracle Java SE
Desktop, or Oracle Java SE Suite. For more information, and details on how to
receive longer term support for Oracle JDK 8, please see the Oracle Java SE
Support Roadmap.

Oracle has announced that, effective January 2019, Java SE 8 public updates
will
no longer be available for "Business, Commercial or Production use" without a
commercial license.

Anyone know how this would affect the Mainframe?

Thanks

Lizette Koehler
statistics: A precise and logical method for stating a half-truth inaccurately