https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.idad400/d4394b.htm

It uses the DCB of the FIRST DSN in the concatenation.
If F(B), then each block must be a multiple of the LRECL of the First
DSN.  Pretty sure the VB won't be.  And the length fields would be
read as data.
If V(B), then each record cannot exceed cannot exceed the LRECL of the
First DSN.  And the first bytes of a F DSN would be treated as the
length.

On Sun, May 12, 2019 at 9:35 PM Tim Hare <haresystemssupp...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I seem to be finding different answers on this.
>
> A vendor used to ship some files as PDSes with RECFM=FB and LRECL=80 (BLKSIZE
> 23440).   User-customized members at this shop were put in a different PDS,
> with the same attributes, and concatenated in cataloged procedures,  ahead of
> the vendor's libraries.  Pretty standard practice I'm sure most are familiar
> with.
>
> Suddenly, because (I'm told) of a merging of code bases at the vendor, their
> PDSes are now RECFM=VB and LRECL=2044 (BLKSIZE 27998) !   My instincts tell
> me this isn't going to work well, but with changes in concatenation of
> libraries over the course of my career I'm not sure.    Here's what I think:
> because of the "new" rule where the largest BLKSIZE sets the buffer size,
> we'll be OK for reading the blocks (23440 fits into 27998)  but  when we try
> to read a member from the VB library, the RDWs are going to mess things up.
>
> I have tried searching for the answer,  but haven't, apparently, found the
> right source yet.
>
> What say you all?

Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA