From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
John McKown <john.archie.mck...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2019 12:29 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: z/OS specific commits (was: ... "awk" ...)

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 11:13 AM Paul Gilmartin <
0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 May 2019 13:58:20 +0800, David Crayford wrote:
>
> >If you've got a C compiler you can build "gawk" yourself. It's already
> >been ported to z/OS and I can see there are z/OS specific commits as
> >recently as a few months ago.
> >
> >https://secure-web.cisco.com/1uW3-ld0yEsT2HlwUIXZpyCUydLZ008AtCZCHSVSHua5bq_qnuddX_naIBGNKYWD9GCxC01HPDkhCw5cLikz8Lulx-IpJUJZjgUWIAcWJNCXlL21t2w1wthU51k4TvjdSc-T31M2KClean81wToNnQR-juiOYKk3Au7nwolF79q_M66ttyPis_w16Bp5BRBh10FZOY9R3dh14vAzhZR9DfPMCkOD1jGPZZtWS7UOIhk1Xx_DWURdLxaVnc6ZTWw_OaMaWlF7ZJtVETxZGNKt9ZTbhO25UlGG97nVLkvHcR8Wzb_qrgNwqW0YD8o1TaeLiz2A19IftO-gHJA8J-7uDlmTOMjKf6GCirTzhDuIkgohlxXHo02e_o7xIq0ih2Rni/https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fredox-os%2Fgawk
> >
> Are the z/OS specific mods to other GNU utilities, mainly by Rocket,
> likewise
> committed to the primary source tree(s), or independent forks?
>
> I understand GPL requires that the source be somehow available.

IIRC, Rocket will supply the source if you request it. It is not, IMO,
easily available because you must ask for it and give Rocket information.
As best as I know, asking for information before supplying source is
allowed by the GPL. That is the "price" for the software. GPL addresses the
right to source (free as in freedom), but does not require that it be
gratis (free as in beer). I just reviewed the license. It does not put any
sort of restriction on the "price" itself. So I guess that I could try
taking some GNU software, modifying it for z/OS, then charge a 1_000_000
dollars for the modified source. Not that I would.

--
This is clearly another case of too many mad scientists, and not enough
hunchbacks.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown