From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Pew, Curtis G <curtis....@austin.utexas.edu>
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 12:57 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Comparing SMP/E to Git

On May 20, 2019, at 11:20 AM, Sankaranarayanan, Vignesh
<vignesh.v.sankaranaraya...@marks-and-spencer.com<mailto:vignesh.v.sankaranaraya...@marks-and-spencer.com>>
 wrote:

On the other end, GitLab (a provider of Git) is now offering package management.

Are the 2 products/technologies converging?
Hypothetically, if they are, is Git better than SMP/E, or vice versa?
That is... is tomorrow's SMP/E going to be "Not Your Father's SMP/E", having
stood the test of time, and possibly better at version control / package mgmt
than Git?

Again, I just want to hear folks' thoughts on this topic..

>From what I’ve seen, the package management offered by GitLab and GitHub are
>distinct products from their git support.

I would still say the use cases for git (version control during development)
and a package manager like SMP/E or rpm or the Git* offerings (managing
dependencies in deployed software) are different enough that viewing them as
somehow competitive would be a mistake.

--
Pew, Curtis G
curtis....@austin.utexas.edu<mailto:curtis....@austin.utexas.edu>