[Default] On 27 May 2019 09:05:47 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main
00000047540adefe-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu (Bill Johnson) wrote:

>Mainframes are by design far more secure. For good reason. The exposure is
>catastrophic potentially. It’s one of the main reasons why banks rely and stay
>on it and spend tens of millions for it. I’ve already provided numerous links
>referencing it. Add in my criminal justice knowledge along with my computer
>science degree and 40 years of experience in IT and security. But don’t let me
>dispel your beliefs.

Hopefully the mainframe is more secure than in the era that had at
least one university had a CRASH command that would take down the
system because so many students were finding ways to crash the system.
There are ways to secure all files and other resources but are they
used and access kept current?  The problem is keeping the system
secure while allowing people to do useful work.  The IBM mainframe has
the base facilities but are they used and considered usable?

Can someone access the system after leaving the organization?  Are
test files well secured?  Are those who have access to the system well
vetted?  Are the applications designed in a secure manner?  Is all
data entering a given computer system checked on that system even if
that data is coming from a PC or other entry device using screens
supplied by the mainframe system? On things like web servers which are
cross platform, Apache for example, is there a process in place to
keep up to date with the fixes which are also cross platform?  What is
the policy for applying integrity APARs?  If the IBM tools provided
are awkward to use, is the organization willing to spend the money for
3rd party tools to ease the burden and simplify the implementation of
the organization's policies?

The question is more not how secure a system can be made but rather
how secure the organization is willing to make it.  Is the security
implemented in a way that doesn't cause people to try finding ways of
gaming it in order to do their jobs?

Clark Morris