On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 5:23 PM Tony Thigpen <t...@vse2pdf.com> wrote:

> I would not convert it to LE.
>
> I have strong feelings that any system tool like this must be able to
> run in a crippled system with as little support from the OS as possible.

Hum. I hadn't thought of running this in a "crippled" environment. I would
have imagined that I would be logged into the z/VM "console" for the z/OS
guest to interactively issue CP commands, rather than via TSO or batch.

> As an opinion, I think that simple programs like this should not be
> converted to base-less programming either. One, there is no need and
> second, I believe that abend fixing is easier with a base address.
>
> KISS rules. :-)

True. I think that baseless programming is actually simpler. But in a very
short routine like this one, it doesn't really make much of a difference.
Almost all of the "application" code that I write now is baseless, with R&I
instructions as well as LE enabled. Why LE? Because I can then use a lot of
LE routines as well a C language subroutines, such as "snprintf" (which is
wonderful to make nicely formatted messages). There are some nice ones. I
know that many still hate LE, but I have learned to love the pain.

> I have no real opinion about making a unix command as I don't really use
> unix that much, but personally I would prefer that a unix user not have
> access to VM commands.

I do a _LOT_ of z/OS UNIX shell scripting. I can do a UNIX shell script and
get an answer faster than writing a TSO REXX program. Why should a TSO user
have access, but not a UNIX user? I, personally, don't see any difference.
I like what I read from Mr. Elliot about using RACF to restrict access to
this program. Of course, this can be done implicitly done by putting the
code in a place where unauthorized user cannot access it. I.e. no access to
the STEPLIB or UNIX directory which contains the program.

Of course, for me, all of this is theoretical because I don't have access
to a z/VM system.

--
This is clearly another case of too many mad scientists, and not enough
hunchbacks.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown