This is purely speculation, but I like what I've read about the "trap"
facility. I think it is too bad that z/OS doesn't support the use of TRAP2,
TRAP4, as well as the compare-and-trap and load-and-trap. I agree that they
are not _necessary_ since the code can do basically the same thing. The
only reason that I even bring it up is that the paper "IBM Z / LinuxONE
System Processor Optimization Primer" by C. Kevin Shum on page 51
"Optimization - Instruction Selection (1)" recommends using
"compare-and-trap" where practical, in particular, for null-pointer
checking.

Perhaps I should have waited for Friday to post this since it is only
wishful thinking.

--
Money is the root of all evil.
Evil is the root of all money.