From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Steve Smith
Sent: Monday, July 1, 2019 6:41 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: STORAGE OBTAIN doc inconsistency?

The notation that would be clearest is to number the bits from right to
left.  However, that may well cause other logical problems on a big-endian
architecture. And obviously, such a change would be ludicrous at this point.

I don't think there's any way to support the old 32-bit numbering that
would solve anything.  Fixing a few mistakes now & then should be fine.

sas

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 7:49 AM Peter Relson <rel...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> I (to some extent "unfortunately") expect such inconsistency across the
> suite of books (imagine if we still supported both ESA/390 and z
> Architectures as options -- what "notation" would we use)? The effort to
> change every 32-bit-register bit reference to its "appropriate"
> 64-bit-register bit reference is likely to be more than anyone is willing
> to commit to (no matter how good an idea it is)..
>
> But surely we should expect to be consistent for a given macro.
>
> Perhaps someone can suggest a notation that would make it clear "this is a
> bit reference that applies to a 64-bit register". Using "the words" can
> make it clear but is cumbersome. "Bits 32.24-31" (vs "Bits 24-31 of the
> 32-bit register"), "Bits 64.15-23" (vs "bits 15-23 of the 64-bit
> register"), "Control Register 2.64.0-31" (vs "64-bit Control register 2
> bits 0-31"). Not pretty. (Obviously if the numeric range includes a value
> >= 32, there is no ambiguity, so once converted the cases Charles pointed
> out will be clear enough without additional clarification.)
>
> Peter Relson
> z/OS Core Technology Design

sas