Oh how I got led down a path today.

Guy told me a lot of stuff, but not everything. I didn't ask him the right
questions, ASSuMEing, he knew what he was doing.  He was trying to insert
VB records in the JCL, and he was out of space in the PDS.

But I think I did learn something from you guys concerning the question I
asked as opposed to what the problem actually was.

On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 3:33 PM Paul Gilmartin <
0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 14:02:20 -0500, Elardus Engelbrecht wrote:
> >??? Please explain that. Do you mean, you want to add the members as an
> input into that JCL? Why not just concatenate them using some DD statements?
> >Why not use a [concatenated] DD refering to the source of that data in
> that flat file / PDs / members of that PDS?
> >
> Me, too.  But this thread inspired me to RTFM, where I see:
>

> https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.3.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r3.ikjc500/ikj2l2_SUBMIT_command_operands.htm
> Note [brightly highlighed]
>     All characters in the job stream are converted to uppercase
>     before being processed.
>
> WTF!?  Does that mean that if I SUBMIT a job containing:
>     //SYSUT1  DD  *
>     This is Mixed Case text.
> The effect is the same as:
>     //SYSUT1  DD  *
>     THIS IS MIXED CASE TEXT.
>
> I don't remember it that way, but I confess I can't remember having
> tried it.  Lately I've submitted only via FTP or copy to INTRDR.  But
> is a clarification RCF in order?
>
> I'd advocate RFEs for a
> o    SUBMIT FROMDDNAME(...) option
> o    Removing the Fixed-80 restriction, relaxed for JES2 circa z/OS 1.5
>      and for JESZ3 far earlier, but lingering in TSO/ISPF submit.
>
> -- gil

The postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent
Mainline’s positions or opinions

Mark D Pace
Senior Systems Engineer
Mainline Information Systems