I second everything Chris Blaicher says. You just cannot say how long an
instruction takes. Let me give you an example. (The example is based on
theoretical concepts and has not been tested or benchmarked.)

Let's say you had some tight loop that was executed many thousands or millions
of times. Let's say you were to insert into the code somewhere the following
instruction: L R0,=F'1', and let's assume that R0 is not in use at that point
so this addition does not change the logic of the program.

If the insertion were between some compare and an immediately following
conditional jump or branch, and the literal pool were already in the data
cache, then the impact of the added instruction might literally be zero. The
processor could execute it entirely while it was waiting for the condition code
to "settle" anyway. You might in a benchmark see absolutely no discernible
change. So it would be fair to say that the LOAD took no time at all.

On the other hand if you inserted it at some other point in the code, where the
literal pool was not in the cache already, or worse, was always at that point
in the flow cached for write access on some other processor, then the impact
might be quite noticeable (assuming enough executions of the loop -- on a human
scale of time, ANY instruction takes no noticeable time at all).

With regard to your specific questions, I think of a L/ST sequence as being
faster than an MVC for four aligned bytes, but I am not certain that is true.
(MUCH faster? I seriously doubt it.) Other factors such as those discussed in
my little example above are much more significant.

I am told that LA is "worse" than other "increment" instructions because it
involves an index register. The instruction to use to increment a register is
undoubtedly AHI for reasons that I believe Chris mentions. AH (or A) is
certainly the worst of the lot because it involves storage access.

My (admittedly grossly oversimplified) rule of thumb when coding is
"instructions take no time at all; memory accesses take forever."

Charles