After getting rid of the home land line maybe 10 years ago, that didn't even cross my mind. But thanks, I'll remember that as an option in case something goes haywire in the future. Right now I'm in great shape (well, the cell phone is - I could use some daily exercise).

On 8/22/2019 12:53 PM, Seymour J Metz wrote:
I would consider a land line to be far more reasonable than a cell phone if I
were telecommuting.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of Tom
Brennan <t...@tombrennansoftware.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2019 12:27 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Attitude of companies toward mainframers working from home?

When I worked on site for many years around some of the best sysprogs in
the business, such as Skip Robinson and Stuart Holland, about the only
technical benefit was the ad-hoc meetings.  I might have a question in
my head and I'd just yell over the cubicle walls.  Or someone would call
me or ask a question at my desk that I couldn't answer, and Skip or
Stuart (or someone else) would hear and pop up and join in the conversation.

So I always envisioned some kind of communication system that would
simulate that environment at home.  Maybe have a mic and speakers always
on, for example.  Or a video of the back of my head that the boss could
check (I think the main reason managers don't want people working from
home is because there's no way to check on what people are doing).
Neither of those are great ideas of course, but you get the picture.

I don't do much real sysprog work anymore but basically everyone I work
with is at home or traveling.  That's because we're spread out across
the USA.  The two offices I could drive to are about 2-3 hours away - no
thank you.

Basically, I'm expected to answer the phone and have a screen up if I'm
home, respond reasonably quickly to emails, attend screen-share
meetings, etc.  The TV is on a lot here, but I just put it on mute when
the phone rings.  And of course there's the dog barking or other home
activity that I have to contend with.  But I have a rule that I never
take my phone or laptop to the bathroom :)

I have a decent cable internet connection which is up at least 99% of
the time, but my cell phone always got 1 bar at home and would often
disconnect multiple times in the middle of meetings.  A few months ago I
bought a cell phone signal amplifier (about $300 so it's not trivial -
antenna on roof, cable to small box about 10 feet from my desk) and
wow... works great and no more disconnects.