On 22 Aug 2019 05:57:37 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main (Message-ID:<0049105969039769.wa.jiveycio.sc....@listserv.ua.edu>) ji...@cio.sc.gov (Joel M Ivey) wrote:

First, they provided a password-protected p12 file, describing it as containing the "root, intermediate, and private certs". I requested their public certificate chain only, they sent me a DER file -- with both the server cert and its private key. I have asked them to elaborate on their need to distribute their private key to me, their response has essentially been, that's the way we do it.

As people have already said, this is incredibly negligent and/or ignorant. I'd hesitate to have any dealings with that company.

I once had to FTP a dump to a vendor. I saw that the directory was set up to allow read without a password. I refused to send the dump until they fixed the security. It was a long time ago, and I can't remember the outcome, though I know they argued with me. I will admit that it's unusual to require a password for read but not for write/create.