On 28/08/2019 11:52 am, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
I wonder whether nowadays more address spaces are created for batch
job steps or for fork()?  Of course, it's environment-sensitive.  Which
path should be optimized?  Whenever I see the message
     BPXAS ON INTRDR
it appears the batch path is optimized.  I'm astonished and dismayed to
think that fork() is realized (sometimes) by sending imaginary cards
through an imaginary card reader.

Creating an address space on z/OS is relatively expensive, BPXAS is a reusable address space used for unix work. BPXAS ON INTRDR just means that the system has run out of idle unix address spaces and is creating more, triggered by some form of unix work. Fork may be a trigger, but it's more a resource management function than part of fork.

In my test, you can see all the forks were reusing the same BPXAS STC06734. Parent tasks used STC06731 and STC06733.

If the BPXAS is unused for a period of time (30 minutes?) it is shutdown and a new one will need to be created next time.

Unix is sending everything through an imaginary teletypewriter, is there a difference? :-)

--

Andrew Rowley
Black Hill Software