On 9/11/19 12:15 PM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 10:58:58 -0400, Bob Bridges wrote:
>
>> LOL.  What gave me that idea is sheer, unadulterated ignorance.  I came into
>> the mainframe world through applications development.  I was given a solid
>> grounding in JCL back in the beginning of my training, decades ago; to me
>> "INTRDR" is an argument that I can include in my JCL with the TSO SUBMIT
>> command.  (Or, as someone else pointed out, using FTP.)
>>
> An alternative might be might be as simple as:
>     //STEP    EXEC  PGM=IEBGENER
>     //SYSUT2  DD    SYSOUT=(,INTRDR),...
>
> As I follow this thread, I wonder why CICS doesn't submit batch jobs
> with the credentials of the requesting individual rather than the CICS
> region.
>
> -- gil

Perhaps because there are typically several orders of magnitude more
CICS users than TSO users, and the typical CICS user who is not also a
TSO user should not by default be set up with a catalog alias or in RACF
to have direct access to data sets required to run much of any use under
his own userid in batch. Running under the CICS region's security would
have better chance of success, but allows too much power.   It makes
more sense for the CICS transaction application code submitting JCL on a
CICS user's behalf to supply the customized JCL and specify an
application-related "batch" userid that is appropriate for the job, and
use RACF SURROGAT authority to the CICS region to avoid the need for
passwords.   Individual installations can write their own CICS "job
submit" routine to make it easier for application development to adhere
to whatever unique batch job standards exist at the installation.

    J. C. Ewing

--
Joel C. Ewing