Peter,

I think it depends entirely on how the product is installed. The various
methods required might include,

1. LPA modules
2. Nucleus extensions
3. SVC(s)
4. New APF libraries
5. New linklist libraries
6. PPT modifications
7. Front-ending of existing SVCs
8. Console definition modifictions
9. Sub-system defintions

.......and many other types of changes to system libraries or definitions.

Each site will have standards about whether they allow such changes in-flight,
or require an IPL. There are benefits with the IPL method. One is that you
prove the system configuration.

You might also wish to consider that installing on one system is fine, but then
the product may need to be activated on another LPAR in the Sysplex.

Often however, the system initialisation changes can be mode for the first
install and then library updates can be performed for an update.

Hope that helps.

Lennie Dymoke-Bradshaw | Security Lead | RSM Partners Ltd

Web:              www.rsmpartners.com
‘Dance like no one is watching. Encrypt like everyone is.’