From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Sean Gleann
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2019 7:06 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Tracing RACF?

Following a set of somewhat distressing events here, I discovered - the hard
way - that our master catalog was poorly protected, and so I now have to fix
it. The situation is that all users of the my system can create, read, write,
update, delete files that are cataloged in the MasterCat.

The original intention was that each user-id is defined in the MCat as an alias
that points to one of several User Catalogs, depending on the user's
'department' within the company. That way, user id 'X1' creates 'X1.TEST', and
it gets cataloged in a UCAT.

So far, so good.

Now I've found that if 'X1' creates file 'TEST1', it gets cataloged in the
MCAT. In order to prevent this, I've used existing information to act as a
model for permit 'MASTERV.CATALOG' generic id(X1) access(read) and specified
that.

Now, if user X1 tries to create 'X1.TEST', the result is a RACF authorisation
failure.

Again, so far, so good

Taking the test a bit further though, I've now found that user X1 is allowed to
delete file 'TEST1' from the MCat!

My conclusion so far is that X1 must be getting the required access rights from
another user id/group/etc, but I can't see anything apposite in any examination
I do of the RACF rules (I use output from the DBSYNC Rexx procedure for this).

So... Can anyone spot my error and suggest a different 'permit' command, please?
Alternatively, I looked at the idea of tracing RACF activity on behalf of a
specific user with SET TRACE(USERID(X1)) - but I can't see where generated
output goes to nor how to interrogate it. I *have* seen mention of using GTF
for this purpose, along with IPCS, but my experience with both those tools is
so limited that I didn't look much further in those references - skipped on
past them, looking for other possibilities but not finding any.

Any help gratefully appreciated
Sean