-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Timothy Sipples
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 5:44 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: IBM Z Development and Test Environment (zD&T)

**CAUTION EXTERNAL EMAIL**

**DO NOT open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected
emails**

Steve Smith wrote:
>That said, I'm pretty sure that does not apply to Dave Jousma, as I've
>worked with him before, and he does want to innovate.

Agreed, which is why I mentioned "management," which (I can now reveal) is
shorthand for "a bureaucracy that doesn't count Dave Jousma among its members."
:-)

>>Thanks for that.  Depending on who you might talk to, I *might* be part of
>>the bureaucracy, but I like to think I am not, since I wear both hats.
>>Manager, and z/OS sysprog.

(snip)

Another tool in the toolbag, typically in conjunction with ZD&T, is z/OS on
z/VM. That's yet another way for developers to get their "disposable" z/OS
instances. IBM itself does a lot of development and testing using z/OS on z/VM.
There are many ways to approach z/OS on z/VM, but one pattern that works
particularly well if you already Linux on z/VM is just to add at least one CP
and one engine's worth of z/VM licensing -- start with one if you'd like,
that's great -- then to have a single "z/VM mode" development LPAR that spans
your IFLs and that CP. Yes, you can do that (subcapacity z/VM, z/VM mode LPAR).
Thus without changing the number of LPARs and barely changing your z/VM
licensing, developers can spin up/down lots of disposable z/OS instances on
z/VM. You can even using z/VM's cloud provisioning capabilities for "walk up"
developer services.

>> If given the chance, I'd prefer this approach over ZD&T.  Why?  Because it
>> would be much easier to build, clone, maintain, and keep it in some sort of
>> reasonable freshness.  Maybe it's time to revisit that over ZD&T, since the
>> costs for ZD&T were fairly substantial.   We did do a z/VM Linux on Z POC
>> here like 5 years ago.  No problem standing up VM, and had a couple of Linux
>> on Z instances running.   For us the deal killer was the cost case, and
>> probably less of an issue now, but the "turf" war.  The team that supports
>> AIX/Linux here at that time were not running much Linux anywhere and it was
>> not yet a bank strategic platform, and in addition wanted no part of running
>> something on Z, even though they were part of the POC, and we made it well
>> known that even though it was running on Z, they would still be the owners.

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be
privileged.   It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you
receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any
manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please
reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was
misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your
assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.