Typically, OS services like these and it's Unix equivalent sched_yield() are used in spinlocks.

On 2019-10-18 1:20 AM, Mike Hochee wrote:
Yes exactly, that is part of what WLM is designed to do. In the real world most
shops use WLM service classes and velocity goals to control things like CPU
dispatching frequency. I'm sure there exist workloads which tend to defy the
controls available in WLM, but I suspect they are quite rare. In all but those
rare instances, I'd be inclined to steer clear coding something in a program
for the purpose of getting it re-dispatched for some resource.

My nickels' worth.
Mike