>>>sum flelds =(3,4,zd,5,6,zd).

ITschak,

I am pretty sure that would result in overlapping error as your summing
field at position 3 for 4 bytes extend up to position 6, but your second
sum field starts at position 5 which overlaps the first sum field.  You
should be getting an ICE125A message.

>>I would expect to have a single record in the output. however, I get two.
what am i missing?

If the overlapping fields was a typo, and if you say that you are getting 2
records, then I am guessing that there is an OVERFLOW during summing and
you would see an ICE152I message.  Check if your joblog has any such
message. You can override the return code 0 during overflow by adding the
following statement to your control card statement.

OPTION OVFLO=RC4

Thanks,
Kolusu
DFSORT Development