On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 11:01:22 -0500, Steve Smith wrote:

>Sounds like a job for a pipe to me.

Or a named pipe for each producer?  But does a named pipe
provide any indication of the producer's terminating/closing it?
Perhaps a recognizable END record?

Does Pierre need to preserve the file contents?  That could be
achieved by the reader's echoing input to those log files.

(In his original post, Pierre mentioned multiple files and multiple
producers.)

>> On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 5:54 PM Pierre Fichaud wrote:
>>
>> > I must continuously monitor ("read") a Unix file that contains
>> > diagnostics. I open the file, parse the records and possibly produce
>> > output. Once I've read all the records, I need to wait (or be blocked)
>> > until more data arrives. Then I process the new records. But I want to
>> > know when the writer has closed the file. Then I stop. Regards, Pierre.

-- gil