One way I did it was using FINDREP= with STARTPOS and ENDPOS to change space to
zero. You can make multiple passes on the output record with multiple
IFTHEN=(WHEN=INIT statements - BUILD first then FINDREP or other manipulation
after the build.

If you have a more recent version that supports the UFF format, use OVERLAY and
that format to reprocess the field and apply an EDIT= mask to result. You might
be able to do it directly in the BUILD instead of using JFY.

Alan