Some years ago I had a related assignment, and found out that GDDM users were
the same as QMF users.   I probably used SMF 14/15 records to identify them.
It turns out that QMF requires a license for GDDM.   I wondered why, especially
since I'd never seen any printer that was capable of printing graphics
connected to the mainframe, terminal emulators on Windows PCs had replaced
every IBM 327x terminal, and it wasn't like QMF users were aware of any such
capability, much less showing off their fancy graphs.   Like everybody else I
knew, if I wanted a graph or pie chart I downloaded the data and used Excel.
Likewise with mainframe SAS & SAS/GRAPH.
I did a little tinkering and found that QMF would not launch without GDDM, it
failed instantly.   With GDDM, QMF would launch and display the initial
"splash" screen.
If anybody from IBM QMF is listening, please chime in.   It's been a while
since I've worked in a shop with QMF or GDDM.