On Sun, Nov 24, 2019 at 11:49:33AM -0500, Joe Reichman wrote:

> IARST64 OWNER SECONDARY ?

> There doesn't seem to be any documentation on what this parm means. Seems
> like I would have to do a SSAR to point to the secondary asid and I am
> guessing the storage would reside in that asid and reference it with AR
> value of 1 ?

Well, a quick google: zos iarst64

and the first or 2nd results points to:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.ieaa900/iarst64.htm

  ,OWNER=HOME
  ,OWNER=PRIMARY
  ,OWNER=SECONDARY
  ,OWNER=SYSTEM
  ,OWNER=BYASID

  When COMMON=YES and REQUEST=GET are specified, a required parameter
  that designates the owner of the storage.

  ,OWNER=HOME
  This parameter indicates that the home address space is to be the owner.

  ,OWNER=PRIMARY
  This parameter indicates that the primary address space is to be
  the owner.

  ,OWNER=SECONDARY
  This parameter indicates that the secondary address space is to be
  the owner.

  ,OWNER=SYSTEM
  This parameter indicates that the system is to be the owner. Use this
  only when there is no specific address space which can be considered
  the owner.

  ,OWNER=BYASID
  This parameter indicates that the owner is the ASID specified by the
  OwningASID parameter.

So you're getting some storage and using an interface which
doesn't assume your current asid/task is to "own" the storage.

What does "own" mean?

Likely it means how the system is to track the lifetime of the storage
and tie that lifetime to some task or address space's lifetime or
reading the description at the top of the page:

   Note: There is diagnostic support for 64 bit cell pools, created by IARST64,

So there is some sort of cell pooling going on.  So perhaps the OWNER
indicates which cell pool IARST64 should use too.

The description also says:

   Cross memory mode:   Any PASN, any HASN, any SASN
   AMODE:       64-bit
   ASC mode:    Primary or access register (AR)

So SSAR doesn't seem to be required at all.

I may not have used MVS for a while, but I can still read IBM manuals...