On Mon, Dec 09, 2019 at 12:36:38PM -0500, Phil Smith III wrote:
> https://hackaday.com/2019/12/08/the-barn-find-ibm-360-comes-home/
> sparked a discussion on a private list about air- and
> water-cooling. I'm quite sure that the /44 and /75 we had at
> UofWaterloo were air-cooled, because we had no water. (That was one
> of the motivations for VM SSI, because we couldn't go bigger than
> the 4300s: we had four 4341s in an SSI configuration.)
>

> But nobody could remember (or find definitive doc) on which, if any,
> 360s were water-cooled. Someone suggested the /91 was.

I vaguely recall reading about some "computing center" operating
sometime in 1960-1980 period, which was water cooled and the heat
exchangers pumped warm water into nearby swimming pool. But I am not
sure, maybe my mind is making this up.

Besides, from this page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_cooling

(quotation start)

    Starting in 1965, IBM and other manufacturers of mainframe
    computers sponsored intensive research into the physics of cooling
    densely packed integrated circuits. Many air and liquid cooling
    systems were devised and investigated, using methods such as
    natural and forced convection, direct air impingement, direct
    liquid immersion and forced convection, pool boiling, falling
    films, flow boiling, and liquid jet impingement. Mathematical
    analysis was used to predict temperature rises of components for
    each possible cooling system geometry.[2]

    IBM developed three generations of the Thermal Conduction Module
    (TCM) which used a water-cooled cold plate in direct thermal
    contact with integrated circuit packages. Each package had a
    thermally conductive pin pressed onto it, and helium gas
    surrounded chips and heat conducting pins. The design could remove
    up to 27 watts from a chip and up to 2000 watts per module, while
    maintaining chip package temperatures around 50 °C (122
    °F). Systems using TCMs were the 3081 family (1980), ES/3090
    (1984) and some models of the ES/9000 (1990).[2] In the IBM 3081
    processor, TCMs allowed up to 2700 watts on a single printed
    circuit board while maintaining chip temperature at 69 °C (156
    °F).[3] Thermal conduction modules using water cooling were also
    used in mainframe systems manufactured by other companies
    including Mitsubishi and Fujitsu.

(quotation stop)

--
Regards,