On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 13:09:29 -0800, Charles Mills wrote:

>> My question has to do with the (probably slight) possibility that the code
>generated by one compiler would be different, for the same statement, for
>another.
>
>It certainly would. If the code generated for every statement was the same
>for both compilers, then there would be no difference between the two.

Not necessarily. The major difference between V5 and V6 was that V6 used
storage above the bar during the compile, allowing the compiler to compile
much larger programs. That was a big difference, regardless of whether or
not code generated was different. My understanding is that there was no
difference in the code generated by V5 and V6 for the same program.

Similarly, just because 6.3 can generate AMODE 64 code, that does not
mean that AMODE 31 code that it generates is different from the code
generated by 6.2. The ability to generate AMODE 64 code makes the
compilers very different, even if that ability is not used for a given compile.

--
Tom Marchant