Lenny,
I can't recall the issue with XCOM.
We run ZPSAVER SYNCSORT. This does not work with EF files, so the sorting
falls back to BSAM I believe, and there is a corresponding increase in MIPs.
We installed ZPSAVER to save MIPS and EF files throw these savings away. We
are talking to SYNCSORT folks.
With FIELAID, I found that if I encrypted a VSAM file, and then edited the
VSAM file using FIELAID, the updates were not actually saved to the file.
After doing a SAVE, and reopening the file, the updates were not there. We
are talking to CA FILEAID folks now.

The ISPW issue was not really related to encryption.
The issue is related to the sheer number of artifacts that are changing in
support of encryption.
I created a container with 20,000+ artifacts supporting the IDCAMS DEFINE
changes alone.
It took hours just to check out the items.
Now when I look at my container I can only see a subset of the actual
artifacts.
The items are all in the PDS library. It is just the ISPW system parm
setting is something like 1,000 items for me.
I could chop the work into multiple containers.

Eventually I will need to manage 100,000+ artifacts for JCL and PROCs. I
don't know how I will deal with that just yet.

Hope that helps.