"Luckily", whoever set up our system apparently included all of the allocations
in our standard logon, so I was able to follow Steve Smith's recommendation.
But your reply is certainly good reference.  Thanks!

________________________________
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Jesse 1 Robinson <000002b46c9bbdf0-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu>
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2020 5:41 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
Subject: Re: Starting an application in ISPF

An ISPF application needs to have all related data sets allocated before the
application itself starts running. For the 'PDF' application, folks will have
all necessary ISPxLIBs allocated by logon proc or by some front-end REXX. In
our shop, applications like ISMF are considered specialized utilities that only
a handful of folks are expected to run, so it doesn't make sense for every user
to allocate libraries that will never be used. The problem with just "ISPSTART
PGM(DGTFMD01) NEWAPPL(DGT)" is that the typical user--in this case YOU--will
not have the right ISPxLIB environment. Same here, so what we do is provide
this lines on a menu that the appropriate folks have allocated:

%   ISMF +ISMF        %-+Invoke Space Management Functions
ISMF,'cmd(%ismfinit &nxtopt) newappl(dgt) nocheck'

This menu can be in your own (pre-allocated) panel library.

REXX ISFMINIT contains this:

/* REXX */
TRACE N
PARSE ARG nextopt .
ADDRESS ISPEXEC
"LIBDEF ISPMLIB DATASET STACK ID('SYS1.DGTMLIB' 'SYS1.DFQMLIB')"
"LIBDEF ISPPLIB DATASET STACK ID('SYS1.DGTPLIB' 'SYS1.DFQPLIB')"
"LIBDEF ISPSLIB DATASET STACK ID('SYS1.DGTSLIB')"
"LIBDEF ISPTLIB DATASET STACK ID('SYS1.DGTTLIB')"
ADDRESS TSO "ALTLIB ACT APPL(CLIST) DATASET('SYS1.DGTCLIB')"
"SELECT PGM(DGTFMD01) PARM("nextopt")"
"LIBDEF ISPMLIB DATASET"
"LIBDEF ISPPLIB DATASET"
"LIBDEF ISPSLIB DATASET"
"LIBDEF ISPTLIB DATASET"
ADDRESS TSO "ALTLIB RESET"

You will need SAF READ access to the ISMF libraries, whatever they're called in
your shop.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson