Tony,

I'm not impressed with the writing in the article.  Parts of it are misleading.
 The picture showing the disaster and the RPO/RTO timelines on it are OK, but
this paragraph leaves a bit to be desired:

<quote>
For example, if you have a 4-hour RPO for an application then you will have a
maximum 4-hour gap between backup and data loss. Having a 4-hour RPO does not
necessarily mean you will lose 4 hours' worth of data. Should a word processing
application go down at midnight and come up by 1:15 am, you might not have much
(or any) data to lose. But if a busy application goes down at 10 am and isn't
restored until 2:00 pm, you will potentially lose 4 hours' worth of highly
valuable, perhaps irreplaceable data. In this case, arrange for more frequent
backup that will let you hit your application-specific RPO.
</quote>

The example of a busy application going down at 10 and not being restored until
2 has nothing to do with a 4 hour RPO, they're describing a 4 hour RTO.  The
RPO could still be 5 minutes, if the data had been backed up at 9:55 and the
application went down - and trashed the data requiring a data restore - at
10:00.

In a nutshell, RPO has to do with how much elapsed time you can handle between
the time a backup is done and a data loss occurs, and RTO is after the loss,
how long you can handle being down before your applications are back.  The
example in the article didn't show that.

Rex