From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Pesce, Andy
Sent: 30 January 2020 15:24
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: WLM Guidance/Suggestions ! ! !

I have recently replace an IBM-2828 that had 5 GP's to a newer model machine
IBM-3907-ZR1 with only 2 GP's.
Does anyone know of a guide or paper or something that might have some things
to look at or modify when reducing the number of GP's.
I have 2 classes of service for my batch jobs.    One runs with a velocity and
importance of "2".   This is a grouping we have called our
critical path jobs that are time sensitive and they must run.    Then I have
another class that runs with a velocity, but has an importance of "3".
This grouping is for jobs that are not time sensitive, but they do need to run
and get service.

The behavior that I am seeing is that the class that has the IMP-2 dominates
the box until they are finished.  The other jobs will sit in the
initiator for 30mins up to an hour and I never see any service being consumed.
 Then once the IMP-2 jobs finish, then the other jobs
will take off and get service.

My goal is to have the IMP-2 take 80-90%, but give the IMP-3 a small chunk of
service.   The only way that I have been able to come close
is to make both classes the same importance level.

Any thoughts, documents, white papers, experiences with dealing with the
reduction of GP's would be greatly appreciated.

e-mail, and delete this message.

33014286