On Fri, 21 Feb 2020 11:52:50 -0600, Mike Fulton wrote:
>Would you be after using REXX in the USS environment or TSO? If in USS, ...

It shouldn't matter.  In fact, I'm mystified that ADDRESS SH isn't available
from the TSO or IRXJCL environment when it can be synthesized with
modest effort with ADDRESS SYSCALL.  But why should the customer
need to do that?

On Fri, 21 Feb 2020 11:51:21 -0600, John McKown wrote

>IIRC, someone here said that they used NFS to mount some z/OS high level
>qualifier (or maybe a node like A.B) as a "filesystem" and so access the
>DSNs via a UNIX path.

Me?

In fact I tried something like that years ago.  My sysprog created the map
entries at my request.   Performance was unacceptable and inexplicable.
No  battle worth fighting.  I reverted to keeping my data on a Solaris
server.  Sometimes mounted twice: text/EBCDIC but binary for compiler
SYSPUNCH.

The worst was when DASD overflowed with HSM recalls after a few days.
Sysprog found and killed the Solaris process doing a wildcard access;
and added NORECALL  to the map.

NORECALL has wrong granularity -- it should have an option to allow
recall for specific paths as by open(), but forbid for generic as by
readdir().

-- gil