On 2020-02-24, at 13:43:52, Ambros, Thomas wrote:

> A trivial item, but this surprised me.
>
> I wanted to parse out the string 'word3' using the period as a place holder.
> The input could have a blank delimited string containing an embedded period
> before the one I wanted to parse out.  The Parse Var as coded didn't work.
>
> myVar = 'word1 word2 9.12 word3.ext'
> Parse Var myVar . . . myVal '.' .
> Say 'myVal=' myVal
The simple answer to the elliptically stated problem is:
    MyVal = 'word3'

A more general solution, using regex is:
556 $ echo 'word1 word2 9.12 word3.ext' | sed 's/.* \([^.]*\).*/\1/'
word3
557 $
This finds the last substring in the subject preceded by a space
and followed by a period.

Full disclosure, for Tony to gloat:
o It's easier to code than to review.
o I got it right on the third try.